Thursday, October 12, 2017

Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Lakes and Plant-Based Options

Today's VeganMofo theme is "Sell Yourself." Oh my, as a Minnesotan, that makes me uncomfortable... we're all above average and, somehow also, no better than anyone else (at least in Minnesota, don't get me started on state rivalries.) So rather than sell myself, let me sell Minnesota. Really, this is my love letter to my home and my invitation for you to visit Minnesota and enjoy some of its splendor. Or, if you already live here, maybe discover a new reason to love to call Minnesota home.

1) Vegan Food
Herbivorous Butcher, the first vegan "butcher shop", in Minneapolis is a must-see for plant-based enthusiasts. With nearly a dozen deli meats and various sausages, steaks, ribs, cheeses and the like, there are tons of options. As they say, #AllVeganEverything. My personal favorite is their monster Italian cold cut sub featuring pastrami, capicola ham, pepperoni and mozzarella.

Lots of local restaurants incorporate HB's products, so you can make nearly every Pizza Nea menu item vegan or check out the fan-favorite J.Selby's, a plant-based eatery in St. Paul (um, they also carry amazing buffalo cauliflower "wings" and "soyclone" ice cream shakes with options like brownies or cookies and cream.)

Pizza Luce (try their vegan rinotta on a pizza) and Seward Cafe (great breakfasts) have been rocking the vegan offerings for years. The Dogg Haus (Roseville and St. Paul skyway) offers a ton of vegan hot dog options; including the quintessential chicago dog (I'm so Minnesotan I add ketchup, sorry.)

Minnesota also is home to a vibrant food scene featuring the cuisines of some of the immigrant cultures that consider Minnesota home today. Some of my favorites are Unideli and Tori Ramen's ramen soup; Quang or Jasmine's vietnamese rice noodle salads (buns), sandwiches (bahn mi) and soup (Hu Tieu Chay);  Fasika's ethiopian platters (especially, greens (gomen) and spicy lentils (misir key wot); and Himalayan's momos. I guess what I'm trying to say is you won't go hungry.

From top left: Himalayan's chili momos, Herbivorous Butcher's italian cold cut sub, Seward's red green bean earth, Unideli's tantanamen ramen soup, J.Selby's cauliflower buffalo wings, and Fasika's vegetarian platter. 

My husband and I are foodies through and through, and love to check out grocery stores to see the different offerings. If that's your kind of thing, I highly recommend checking out the myriad of food coops (Seward and the Wedge are my favorite and have lots of vegan options in their deli/desserts.) and the Whole Foods Selby Diner which now features the Beyond Meat Burger and fries ($6/Friday!).


2) Nature and Arts
I'm guilty of getting a little too excited about all the new food I get to try on a vacation and needing to build in some activities to build up an appetite. Don't worry, Minnesota has you covered. Of course, we have the Mall of America, but we also have amazing arts and natural areas to enjoy. Minnesotans value the arts and it shows with theatersmuseums and concert venues galore. Minnesotans also love the Great Outdoors A LOT, especially water (not surprising for a state with 10,000+ lakes.) Minnesota has dozens of state parks and recreational areas that offer outdoor programming, camping, trails and more.

You can try the paddle share (or other rental programs) and explore the Mississippi river or Minneapolis's chain of lakes or check out the Sax Zim Bog, a birder's paradise and home to many owls, in Northern Minnesota. In the winter (and really every season), I love going to Como Conservatory (free/donation encouraged) and enjoying the humid, earthy smells of tropical ferns to cure the winter chills (and the sunken garden is a must see/photograph that changes seasonally.) Minnesota is also home to the headwaters of the Mississippi River located in Itasca State Park. I've got to stop, I could go on about the wonderful places to visit forever.

From top left: Como Conservatory Sunken Garden, Headwaters of the Mississippi and fungi at Itasca State Park, lily pads at Como Conservatory, and sunset at Gull Lake near Brainerd. 

My recommendations on the arts: Guthrie, Jungle Theater, Heart of the Beast Theater (or May Day Parade), Midway Murals project, First Ave,  Science MuseumMinneapolis Institute of Arts (especially during Art in Bloom)

From Left: Midway Murals' Story of the Coffee Tree, First Ave, Heart of the Beast Puppet at May Day Parade, and Art in Bloom at MIA. 

3) Breweries and Distilleries

If you like beer, Minnesota should be on your destination vacation list (check out what Minnesota has to offer.) Come during one of the festivals and sample the latest on tap from 50+ breweries across the state, or come any time and hit up a few tap rooms (conveniently, there is an evenings worth accessible by light rail, so you don't have to worry about drinking and driving.) Not a beer fan? Don't worry, I'm not really either...give me gin over beer any day (not every day, don't worry, mom.) There are a growing number of distilleries offering gin, vodka and other liquors to sample.

My recommendations: Schell's (New Ulm), Surly (Minneapolis), DuNord (Minneapolis), Norseman (Minneapolis.)

From Left: Schell's Beer Tour Tasting in New Ulm, Surly Brew Hall in Minneapolis.


5 comments:

  1. You're really selling it as a holiday destination! Basically, the food did it for me - I also plan my holidays around food and trying to fill up the rest of the time as an afterthought! I think I would prioritise the Herbivorous Butcher - that sub looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HH- I'm excited your blog has so many vegan tips for dining out in Italy because that's a bucket list destination for my husband and me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post... thanks for sharing such a nice post
    Start Selling On Amazon UAE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. It is really interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    ntt course in Chennai

    ReplyDelete