Thursday, October 5, 2017

Impressive Plants

First, I do not engage in converting people's food choices. Food choices are personal and complex from family traditions to health needs. I know people that encourage others to be more reflective and make food choices that embody their values, and that's admirable especially when done from a place of empowering rather than guilting or converting. That said, I LOVE empowering someone who has made the choice to eat more plants by sharing my favorite recipes, restaurants, products and tips.

There are also times I want to cook for my omnivore friends whether they just became parents or I'm inviting a group over for dinner. My standard never-fail-to-impress-an-omnivore is this black bean and swiss chard enchilada casserole (recipe here.) I often make substitutions in the recipe from the type of vegan cheese used on top (my current favorite is So Delicious Dairy-Free Cheddar Jack Shreds) to the veggies (sweet potatoes, peppers, greens are all great additions.)


The casserole is made all the better by serving it with lots of mix-and-match toppings for a choose-your-own-adventure experience. Popular toppings to include: tomatoes, raw onions, cilantro, lettuce, vegan sour cream, avocado, salsa and hot sauce.


If you find yourself with someone who wants to eat more plants, but does not embrace vegetables or beans, this dish isn't going to work. In that case, I'd recommend almond ricotta stuffed shells with marinara sauce (check out Miyoko Schinner's amazing recipe here.)


2 comments:

  1. This looks like a great casserole! It's good to have one up your sleeve that is easy to make and really impresses people too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing!!! Black bean and swiss chard? With the new So Delicious shreds? I will definitely try this in the future. I also love the addition of "choose your own toppings" adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete